Old Photograph Carrutherstown Dumfries and Galloway Scotland
Old photograph of houses and cottages in Carrutherstown, Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. The Carrruthers family first came to prominence in Dumfriessshire as dependents of the Bruces of Lochmaben. Their influence steadily spread through the parishes of Dalton and Mouswald. The surname of Carruthers appears to allude to the ancient British fort called Caer Rydderch or Rythyr. In the thirteenth century the chiefly family of Carruthers rose to become stewards of Annandale under the Clan Bruce. Nigel de Karruthers was a cleric who was also Rector of Ruthwell in 1380, who rose to become Canon of Glasgow Cathedral in 1351. He was also named as chancellor to Robert, High Steward of Scotland in 1344. At around the same time the chiefly family of Carruthers acquired the lands of Musfald, now called Mouswald. The Carruthers of Mouswald line came to an end with Simon Carruthers who was killed in 1548 during a border raid, and his daughters were placed under the guardianship of the Clan Douglas. A notable member of the clan was Colonel Francis Carruthers who served in Egypt and in the Boer War. From 1915 to 1919 he was assistant director at the War Office. He was also a brigadier in the Royal Company of Archers, the monarch's body guard in Scotland, as well as being Lord Lieutenant of Dumfries.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...