Old Photograph Bandstand Govanhill Glasgow Scotland
Old photograph of people at the opening of the Bandstand in Govanhill, Glasgow, Scotland. Glasgow Corporation acquired land for a recreation ground at Govanhill in 1894. The original layout split the area in two, with one laid out with ashes to create an area for playing football and similar games and the other part covered with grass and with a small gymnasium. A shelter with toilets was built in the centre of the park, trees, shrubs and flowerbeds were planted round the edges and there were park benches set at regular intervals along the gravel paths. The bandstand was added in 1903.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...