Tour Scotland Video Drive A90 To All Saints' Church In Glencarse Perthshire



Tour Scotland video of a drive East on the A90 road to All Saints' Church on ancestry visit to Glencarse, Perthshire, Scotland. The style of architecture of the church, designed by Mr Blackadder of Perth, is English Domestic Gothic, and the walls are of pitch pine and cement. The church was consecrated by the Bishop of Brechin, the Right Reverend Dr Hugh Willoughby Jermyn, on the 25th April 1878. It was established as a mission church, free of debt, most of the money having been provided by Lord Kinnaird, Mr Greig of Glencarse House and Colonel Drummond-Hay of Seggieden. Mr Greig gave a most appropriate site with a southerly aspect and a sunny location. Up to that date Episcopalians were forbidden to assemble at meetings exceeding nine persons for religious worship. Such meeting were usually private houses, or even fields. The Episcopal congregations of Glencarse in the eighteenth century had meeting houses in Inchyra and Pitroddie. Inchyra was a busy mediaeval trading village with its pier and ferry. Pitroddie, formerly known as Battrodie, once a burial place of Druids, had a thriving population based on the quarrying industry. These meeting houses can be regarded as as the forerunners of All Saints' Glencarse. No part of the grounds can be used for burials or the interrment of ashes, the traditional burial ground being that of the old parish church at Kinfauns, about two miles west of Glencarse.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments:

Featured post

Tour Scotland Winter Travel Video Waterfalls Glencoe And Glen Etive Highlands

Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...