Thursday, 8 June 2017
Old Photograph Whales Whiteness Shetland Islands Scotland
Old photograph of whales on the shore at Whiteness on Mainland Shetland Islands, Scotland. The village lies seven miles north north west of Lerwick. The parish is now merged with Tingwall. In 1903, two whaling stations, operated by Norwegian whaling companies, started in Shetland at Ronas Voe on north west Mainland. The Shetland Whaling Company began whaling in April 1903 with a single whale catcher, the Frithjof. The Norrona Company started in June with the catcher Norrona, They both operated until September and each boat caught just over 60 whales In the following year, two more stations commenced operations, the Norwegian Alexandra Company from a station in Colla Firth, Yell Sound, using one boat in the first year and two boats in each subsequent year, and the Olna Whaling Company, owned by Christian Salveson and Company, opened a station in Olna Firth on the west Mainland coast. Four boats were used in most seasons.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland travel video of Winter snow just five days before Christmas in Glen Etive , near Glencoe , on ancestry visit to the Highland...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of women walking on the sea wall at the harbour in Arbroath, Angus, Scotland . In 1394 the Abbot John Gedy and the monks of ...