Wednesday, 7 June 2017
Old Photograph The Sanatorium St Andrews Fife Scotland
Old photograph of the Sanatorium in St Andrews, Fife, Scotland. A sanatorium, also spelled sanitorium and sanitarium, is a medical facility for long term illness, most typically associated with treatment of tuberculosis in the late nineteenth and twentieth century before the discovery of antibiotics.
Tour Scotland video of the now derelict Craigtoun Hospital on visit to St Andrews, Fife, Scotland. Craigtoun Hospital was was at one time a mansion house owned by the Younger family who also previously owned Craigtoun Park itself. Dr James and Mrs Annie Younger, of the famous family of Scottish Brewers, lived here, at Mount Melville, as it was called when they were in residence. Many good causes in East Fife benefited from Dr and Mrs Younger's generosity. Deeply interested in the Episcopal Church, Mrs Younger was responsible for the completion of All Saints' Church in the 1920s and the Rectory of the Church completed in 1939. She and her husband donated the Younger Hall to the University of St Andrews. It was built at a cost of £90,000 and formally opened in 1929 by the Duchess of York when it was presented to the University. Mrs Younger was President of the St Andrews Horticultural Association and for many years the exhibit of flowers from Mount Melville gardens was a feature of the shows. She took an interest in the St Andrews Cottage Hospital, and each year gave a Christmas dinner to staff and patients. Mrs Younger died in August 1942 aged 78, and is buried in the Eastern Cemetery, St Andrews.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland travel video of Winter snow just five days before Christmas in Glen Etive , near Glencoe , on ancestry visit to the Highland...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of women walking on the sea wall at the harbour in Arbroath, Angus, Scotland . In 1394 the Abbot John Gedy and the monks of ...