Old Photograph Pub Carnwath Scotland
Old photograph of the Pub in a cottage with a thatched roof in Carnwath on the southern edge of the Pentland Hills thirty miles South of Edinburgh, and Glasgow, Scotland. The Clan Lamont were driven from their homeland to settle in Carnwath. They later became Covenanters. In 1630, the Carnwath estate, owned by the Earl of Mar was purchased by Sir Robert Dalzell, later to become Lord Dalzell. In 1639, his son, the 2nd Lord Dalzell and also named Robert, was further elevated to become the Earl of Carnwath. The title was forfeit in 1716 when the 5th Earl, Robert Dalzell became attainted due to his support of the Jacobite cause but the titles were restored in 1826. Writer, spy and politician, George Lockhart, inherited the Carnwath estates from his father, George Lockhart of the Lockharts of Lee, who had purchased them in 1681.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...