Old Photograph Western Infirmary Glasgow Scotland
Old photograph of the Western Infirmary situated in the West End of Glasgow, Scotland. In the 1870s, when the University of Glasgow moved from the city centre to the West End, distancing itself from the Royal Infirmary, a new teaching hospital was built in 1874 as part of the new university buildings. By 1890 there had already been 877 operations performed in the hospital. Initially only having 150 beds, by 1911 this had increased to over six hundred. In 1936 the decision was taken to establish a medical department. In 1938 the Gardiner Institute of Medicine opened, taking its name from the family that had gifted almost £25,000 towards its foundation. The Western Infirmary opened as a voluntary hospital relying upon donations and bequests from members of the public. In 1948 with the introduction of the National Health Service the Western came under the management of the Glasgow Western Hospitals Board of Management. In Autumn 2015, the Western Infirmary was shut down with the exception of the minor injuries unit. At the end of 2015 the Minor Injuries Unit moved a short distance to the Yorkhill Hospital site and the Western Infirmary closed completely on 6 December 2015.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson