Old Photograph Stobhill Hospital Springburn Glasgow Scotland
Old photograph of Stobhill Hospital in Springburn, Glasgow, Scotland. Stobhill was originally a Poor Law hospital, commissioned by the Glasgow Parish Council, to an 1899, John James Burnet judged competition winning design by Glasgow architects, Thomson and Sandilands. The foundation stone was laid in September 1901 by Lord Balfour of Burleigh, the then Secretary of State for Scotland, and Stobhill Hospital was formally opened on 15 September 1904. In September 1914, at the beginning of the First World War, the hospital was requisitioned by Royal Army Medical Corps staff of the Territorial Force and the complex split and redesignated as the 3rd and 4th Scottish General Hospitals. Wounded servicemen arrived by specially converted Hospital trains terminating at a temporary railway platform built within the hospital grounds. A staff of 240 nurses as well as volunteers from the St. Andrew's Ambulance Association cared for over 1,000 patients at a time, suffering from battlefield wounds to venereal disease, until the return of the hospital to civilian use in the spring of 1920.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...