Old Photograph Steam Locomotive The Mound Railway Station Scotland
Old photograph of a steam locomotive at The Mound Railway Station near the head of Loch Fleet, a sea loch on the east coast of Scotland, located between Golspie and Dornoch, Scotland. For more than half of its life it was the junction for Dornoch. The Sutherland Railway opened between Bonar Bridge and Golspie on 13 April 1868. Among the intermediate stations was one at The Mound, which opened with the line. The station took its name from the nearby road embankment engineered in 1817 by Thomas Telford across the head of Loch Fleet, which is now on the route of the A9 road. On 2 June 1902, the Dornoch Light Railway was opened,] which connected to the main line at a junction situated just to the West of The Mound station. The Dornoch branch line closed on 13 June 1960, and The Mound station closed the same day. The line remains open, and the nearest station is now Golspie.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...