Old Photograph Skating Pavilion Crossmyloof Glasgow Scotland


Old photograph of the Skating Pavilion in Crossmyloof on the South side of Glasgow, Scotland. The original village of Crossmyloof was situated in the north western corner of Cathcart parish and was formed around the junction of what are now Pollokshaws Road and Langside Avenue, the road to Cathcart. Crossmyloof was a small hamlet which suddenly grew in prominence when Neale Thomson opened a large bakery there in 1847. In November 1820 two members of a band of armed ruffians who robbed a house in Crossmyloof were hanged in front of the Jail in the Saltmarket. The attack took place at the home of Dr Robert Watt, the author of the four volume Bibliothica Britanica, who had died, allegedIy of overwork, the previous year. His terrified widow had a pistol held at her head and her gold rings wrenched off her fingers. According to local belief, the name Crossmyloof is reputed to be derived from its location on the route taken by Mary, Queen of Scots to the site of the Battle of Langside. A fortune teller may have offered to tell the queen her fate if she would " cross her loof ( hand ) with silver. "



All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments: