Tuesday, 30 May 2017

Old Photograph Sea Festival Mallaig Scotland


Old photograph of the Sea Festival in Mallaig, Lochaber, Scotland. Mallaig is a port in Lochaber, on the west coast of the Highlands. The local railway station, Mallaig, is the terminus of the West Highland railway line, Fort William and Mallaig branch, completed in 1901, and the town is linked to Fort William by the A830 road, the Road to the Isles. The village of Mallaig was founded in the 1840s, when Lord Lovat, owner of North Morar Estate, divided up the farm of Mallaigvaig into seventeen parcels of land and encouraged his tenants to move to the western part of the peninsula and turn to fishing as a way of life. The population and local economy expanded rapidly in the 20th century with the arrival of the railway. Ferries operated by Caledonian MacBrayne and Bruce Watt Sea Cruises sail from the port to Armadale on the Isle of Skye, Inverie in Knoydart, and the isles of Rùm, Eigg, Muck, and Canna. Mallaig is the main commercial fishing port on the West Coast of Scotland, and during the 1960s was the busiest herring port in Europe.



All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments:

Featured post

Tour Scotland Travel Video Winter Snow Before Christmas Glen Etive Highlands

Tour Scotland travel video of Winter snow just five days before Christmas in Glen Etive , near Glencoe , on ancestry visit to the Highland...