Old Photograph School Middlebie Scotland
Old photograph of the school in Middlebie located two miles East of Ecclefechan, Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. Middlebie Parish consists of the ancient parishes of Middlebie, Pennersaughs and Carruthers, united in 1609. Middlebie was the seat of a Presbytery from some time after the Reformation until 1743. It was then divided to form the Presbyteries of Langholm and Annan. Middlebie parish is now in the Presbytery of Annandale and Eskdale. It is bounded by the parishes of Tundergarth, Langholm, Canonbie, Half Morton, Kirkpatrick Fleming, Annan and Hoddam. The West Coast Main Line railway runs through the parish from London to Glasgow. In 1841 the population of the parish was 2,154 and about sixty of these people were hand loom weavers. There were inns and shops and the Lime Works at Blacketridge. Tradesmen listed in 1841 included joiners, shoemakers, tailors, cloggers, masons, millers, carters, grooms, gardeners, dressmakers and straw hat makers.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson