Old Photograph Prince Of Wales Putting Old Golf Course St Andrews Fife Scotland


Old photograph of the Prince of Wales putting on the 18th Green on the Old Golf Course in St Andrews, Fife, Scotland



Tour Scotland video of golfers on the Old Golf Course on ancestry visit to St Andrews, Fife, Scotland. The Old Course at St Andrews is considered by many to be the " home of golf " because the sport was first played on the Links at St Andrews in the early 1400s. Members played on what would become the Old Course, but because it was the only course St Andrews had, it was not yet known as the Old Course. Golf was becoming increasingly popular in Scotland until in 1457, when James II of Scotland banned golf because he felt that young men were playing too much golf instead of practising their archery. The ban was held by the following kings of Scotland until 1502, when King James IV became a golfer himself and decided to remove the ban on golf.

All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments: