Old Photograph Original Village Langside Glasgow Scotland
Old photograph of the original village of Langside, Glasgow, Scotland. The original village of Langside was based around what is now Algie Street, named after Glasgow Merchant Matthew Algie, near the Battlefield Monument. There were two mills nearby on the White Cart, a meal mill and a paper mill which dated back to the 17th century. In the early 19th century most of the inhabitants of the village were weavers although they also cultivated fruits and flowers. In 1568 the area was the site of the Battle of Langside, the last battle fought by the forces of Mary, Queen of Scots, prior to her exile and death in England.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...