Monday, 22 May 2017
Old Photograph Invercannich Bridge Scotland
Old photograph of Invercannich pedestrian bridge over the River Beauly by Beauly located ten miles West of Inverness, Scotland. The River Beauly is a river in the Scottish Highlands. It is about 25 km long, beginning near the village of Struy, at the confluence of the River Farrar and the River Glass. The river meanders as it flows east, passing to the south of the village of Beauly and into the Beauly Firth. The river was first bridged in about 1817, when Thomas Telford constructed the five arched Lovat Bridge about 1 km south west of Beauly. This bridge carried the A9, the main route north, until the Kessock Bridge was opened in 1982. A railway bridge across the river on the outskirts of Beauly was built in the 1860s to carry the Inverness & Ross-shire Railway, now the Far North Line. Another road bridge, near Kilmorack, was built in the 20th century. The river is part of the Affric-Beauly hydro-electric power scheme, with dams and power stations at Aigas and Kilmorack. Both have 20MW generators and include fish ladders to allow salmon to pass, the Aigas fish ladder is open to visitors in the summer.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
at May 22, 2017
Tour Scotland travel video of Winter snow just five days before Christmas in Glen Etive , near Glencoe , on ancestry visit to the Highland...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of women walking on the sea wall at the harbour in Arbroath, Angus, Scotland . In 1394 the Abbot John Gedy and the monks of ...