Old Photograph Interior St Aloysius Church Glasgow Scotland


Old photograph of the interior of St Aloysius Church in the Garnethill area of Glasgow, Scotland. It is the only church in Glasgow to be run by the Society of Jesus. It is situated on the corner of Hill Street and Rose Street and is next door to St Aloysius' College. The Jesuits arrived in Glasgow in 1859 by taking over the parish of St Joseph's Church, North Woodside Road. In the early 1860s they purchased land in the Garnethill district, which, at that time, was on the western outskirts of the city and a residential area recently favoured by the wealthier classes. The foundation stone for the present church building was laid on 4 October 1908 and it was opened on 6 February 1910, by the Archbishop of Glasgow, John Maguire. The interior decoration of the church was a prolonged and costly enterprise and the debt increased alarmingly so that the prospect of the solemn consecration receded. It was not until after the Second World War that debt was steadily reduced and finally cleared. On 29 November 1953 Archbishop Donald Campbell presided at the solemn ceremony of consecration.



All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments: