Old Photograph Glen O' Dee Hospital Scotland
Old photograph of Glen O' Dee Hospital by Banchory, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. The original building was built in 1900 and started its life as Nordrach on Dee Hospital, a sanctuary for tuberculosis patients. When TB died down it served as a luxury hotel, when it became " Glen O' Dee ", but was taken over during the war to serve as a billet for troops. In 1955 it became a convalescent hospital. It reprised its role in contagious diseases when the typhoid epidemic hit nearby Aberdeen in the 1960s, but its last use was as a residential home for the elderly. The original building closed in 1998, when a new purpose built building was built on the same site. The original building has been featured on the BBC's Restoration programme, but it sat empty and deteriorating from 1998. The historic building was destroyed by fire on 14 October 2016, with police treating the incident as wilful fire raising.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...