Old Photograph Dobbie Hall Stenhousemuir Scotland


Old photograph of people standing outside Dobbie Hall in Stenhousemuir located two miles North West of Falkirk, Scotland. The Dobbie Hall was given to the people of Larbert and Stenhousemuir by Major Robert Dobbie, an ironfounder. The foundation stone was laid in 1900 and the hall was opened in August 1901 by the Duchess of Montrose. The hall was designed by A and W Black of Falkirk and cost £12,000 to build. The " stone house " from which the village took its name was a Roman building on the north of the Carron River Valley known in later centuries as King Arthur's oven. Stenhousemuir became home to the Falkirk Tryst one of the largest gatherings of livestock farmers and buyers from all over Scotland and beyond. These Trysts lasted from 1785 until the late 19th century.



All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments:

Featured post

Tour Scotland Winter Travel Video Waterfalls Glencoe And Glen Etive Highlands

Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...