Old Photograph Cottage Hospital Hawick Scotland


Old photograph of nurses outside the Cottage Hospital in Hawick, Scotland. Tour Scottish Borders. Hawick Cottage Hospital was opened on 31st of August 1885 by the 6th Duke and Duchess of Buccleuch. The foundation stone was laid on August 30, 1884 by the Earl of Mar and Kellie, Grand Master Mason of Scotland. The hospital was erected on land donated by the 5th Duke Of Buccleuch, Walter Francis Scott, and was built by public subscriptions. The architect was John McLachlan, born 1843, died 1893. The Cottage Hospital is one of his earlier works, whilst he also designed Coldstream Cottage Hospital, which opened in 1888. In 1924, the Esmond Elliot Memorial Ward was added to the Buccleuch Road building, and was opened on December 3 by the Prince of Wales. later King Edward VIII.



All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.

View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.

No comments:

Featured post

Tour Scotland Winter Travel Video Waterfalls Glencoe And Glen Etive Highlands

Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...