Old Photograph Steam Train Cameron Of Lochiel Eastfield Glasgow Scotland
Old photograph of the LNER Class K4 Cameron Of Lochiel steam train in Eastfield Glasgow, Scotland. Apart from the prototype Loch Long all K4 locomotives were named after Highland chieftains and grandees. Initially the K4s were mainly used on the Glasgow to Fort William stretch of the West Highland Railway Line. They handled the gradients and continuous curves with ease, but they were not designed for the 20 miles of level track near Glasgow, and the 8.5 miles stretch alongside Loch Eil. In 1959, the five K4s were transferred to Thornton Shed for use on goods trains until October 1961 when four were withdrawn. The last K4, No. 61994 The Grand Marquess, was withdrawn in December 1961 and sold to Viscount Garnock and has survived into preservation. Eastfield was a steam shed under British Railways with the depot code 65A.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...