Old Photograph Steam Locomotive Deeside Railway Scotland
Old photograph of a steam locomotive on the Deeside Railway in Scotland. The Deeside Railway was a passenger and goods railway between Aberdeen and Ballater in Aberdeenshire. Opening in 1853 to Banchory, an extension reached Aboyne in 1859. A separate company, the Aboyne and Braemar Railway, built an extension to Ballater and this opened in 1866. The line was used by the Royal Train for travel to and from Balmoral Castle from 1853 and a special Messenger Train ran daily when the Royal Family was in residence. The railways were absorbed by the Great North of Scotland Railway on 1 August 1875 for the Deeside Railway and 31 January 1876 for the Aboyne & Braemar. The line became part of the London and North Eastern Railway in 1923, and part of British Railways when nationalised in 1948. The line was closed, to Ballater on 18 July 1966 and to Culter on 2 January 1967.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...