Old Photograph St John's Church Baltasound Shetland Islands Scotland
Old photograph of St John's Church in Baltasound, the largest settlement on the island of Unst, Shetland Islands, Scotland. Built between 1825 and 1827 with local labour at 90º to the original kirk, the outline of which is retained in a walled garden. Much recycled stonework. Significant alterations in 1959 and reroofed 1984. Hall, kitchen, etc, 1990. Original bell, dated 1828. Pews brought from Rothiemay, Huntly. Pulpit and Communion Table are the work of the Reverend John Firth. Stained glass by Harry Tait of Trondra, Shetland. Local War Memorials and RAF Saxaford memorials. Unst is the most northerly inhabited island in the United Kingdom. The village lies halfway along the island's east coast on a sheltered bay called Balta Sound.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson