Old Photograph SS Hebrides Colonsay Scotland
Old photograph of SS Hebrides at Colonsay, Scotland. Colonsay is an island in the Inner Hebrides of Scotland, located north of Islay and south of Mull. SS Hebrides was a passenger and cargo ship which operated in the Western Isles of Scotland. Built in 1898 for John MacCallum, she became part of the fleet of David MacBrayne Limited, serving St Kilda until 1955. John MacCallum operated his own routes in the area generally covered by MacBraynes. Hebrides provided a service to Colonsay. During the Second World War, she was chartered to MacBraynes, sailing between Oban and Tiree. She assisted at the evacuation of Soay and took part in a similar duty at St Kilda. In her final years, she carried cargo and livestock only on her old route from Glasgow, on alternate runs with Loch Frisa. Hebrides was scrapped at Smith and Company, Port Glasgow. The ship's bell was in the foyer of the Harris Hotel, Tarbert for 20 years and is now on display in the lounge of the present CalMac ferry MV Hebrides.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson