Old Photograph Railway Station Greenlaw Scotland
Old photograph of the railway station in Greenlaw, located in the foothills of the Lammermuir Hills on Blackadder Water at the junction of the A697 and the A6105 in the Scottish Borders of Scotland. For over a week in August 1948 exceptionally heavy rainfall was experienced in Berwickshire, and this culminated in a violent rainstorm on the night of 12 August 1948. Many watercourses overtopped their banks and the ground was already saturated; this resulted in multiple washouts of railway embankments and undermining of bridge abutments and piers. The railway between Duns and Earlston was closed immediately. The passenger service never re-opened, but a goods train service between St Boswells and Greenlaw resumed after a period. Greenlaw Railway Station was closed in 1948, though the final freight ran on 16 July 1965.
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Greenlaw, located in the foothills of the Lammermuir Hills on Blackadder Water at the junction of the A697 and the A6105 in the Scottish Borders of Scotland. Greenlaw was first made the county town of Berwickshire in 1596. Greenlaw's impressive town hall was completed in 1831. Thomas Gibson, born 8 January 1825, died 1901, was born in Greenlaw, he was an Ontario political figure. He represented Huron North in the Legislative Assembly of Ontario from 1871 to 1874 and Huron East from 1875 to 1898. Thomas was the son of Thomas Gibson, born 1751, died 1820, and his wife Helen Lunham. He was educated at the free church school in Greenlaw. He went to Canada West in 1854. He died in January 1901 and is buried in Wroxeter, Ontario. The township of Gibson, now part of the Township of Georgian Bay in the Muskoka District, was named after him. His nephew was the noted mathematician Prof George Alexander Gibson.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson