Old Photograph Post Office Ardpatrick Scotland
Old photograph of the cottage Post Office in Ardpatrick, Argyll, Scotland. This village is at the southwestern extremity of Knapdale, along the north western shore of West Loch Tarbert, facing south west to the island of Gigha. The headland of Ardpatrick is according to legend, the landing place of St. Patrick, on his way from Ireland to the Island of Iona. Upon the formation of the Clan MacAlister, becoming independent from Clan MacDonald in 1493, their chief, Iain Dubh, Black John, created the seat of the clan at Ardpatrick. Ardpatrick House was built in 1769 for Angus MacAlester, 11th of Loup, by John Menelaws and Thomas Menelaws, from Greenock by Glasgow.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson