Wednesday, 5 April 2017
Old Photograph Parish Church And Kirkgate Street Cupar Fife Scotland
Old photograph of the Parish Church and cottages and houses on Kirkgate Street in Cupar, Fife, Scotland. Cupar Old and St. Michael of Tarvit Parish Church was formed by the union of St. Michael of Tarvit Church with the remains of the earlier parish church, built in 1415, much of which was removed to make way for the new building. The first church on this site was constructed in 1415 to replace St. Christopher's church. In 1618, this church was united with the disused St. Michael of Tarvit. By 1785, the church was in a decayed condition; the main body was demolished, and a new church was built on the site. but the tower was retained, as well as part of the north aisle, which was later converted into a session house. These medieval features of the original building survive in the present building. The north elevation faces onto Kirkgate.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland travel video of Winter snow just five days before Christmas in Glen Etive , near Glencoe , on ancestry visit to the Highland...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of women walking on the sea wall at the harbour in Arbroath, Angus, Scotland . In 1394 the Abbot John Gedy and the monks of ...