Old Photograph LNER Class C16 Steam Train Parkhead Glasgow Scotland
Old photograph of an LNER Class C16 steam train in Parkhead North railway station Glasgow, Scotland. Parkhead is a district in the East End of Glasgow. Its name comes from a small weaving hamlet at the meeting place of the Great Eastern Road, now the Gallowgate and Tollcross Road, and Westmuir Street. Duke Street and Springfield Road also meet there, to form a turreted Edwardian five way junction at Parkhead Cross. Glasgow's Eastern Necropolis was laid out in 1847 beside the Gallowgate. The area flourished with the discovery of coal in 1837 and grew into an industrial centre. In 1897 William Beardmore and Company became famous with the production of high grade steel and castings at the local Parkhead Forge, founded about 1837 and extended between 1884 and 1914.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...