Old Photograph Hotel Sumburgh Shetland Islands Scotland
Old photograph of the hotel in Sumburgh, Shetland Islands, Scotland. This Scots Baronial edifice was built in 1867 by David Rhind, born 1808, died 1883, as Sumburgh House, home of the Bruces of Sumburgh. The house comprises two storeys, constructed in sandstone ashlar, featuring decorative down pipes and a distinctive purple slate roof. The Bruces left in the early years of the 20th Century and the house was converted for use as a hotel by W. Laidlaw McDougall, who had been the Bruce's factor. The hotel was extended with utilitarian blocks to the rear in the 1970s to cope with the increase in business due to the oil boom, while the main building was B-listed in 1997. Chalets were added in front of the hotel in 2006.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson