Old Photograph Golf Course Clubhouse Lauder Scotland
Old photograph of the Golf Course Clubhouse Lauder in the Scottish Borders, Scotland. Opened in 1896 and designed by legendary British Open champion Willie Park, Royal Burgh of Lauder Golf Club proudly stands by its claim as one of the best nine-hole golf courses in the whole of Scotland. Willie Park, born 4 February 1864, died 22 May 1925, was one of the top professional golfers of his era, winning The Open Championship twice. Park was also a successful golf equipment maker and golf writer. In his later years, Park built a significant career as one of the world's best golf course architects.
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lauder in the Scottish Borders, Scotland. This is a town in the historic county of Berwickshire in the Scottish Borders. The town developed in a pattern which was typical of a Scottish Burgh. The Tolbooth, later known as the Town House overlooked the Market Place. Lauder is situated beside what was in Roman times a main route north from England, Dere Street. The route came from Trimontium, modern Newstead, near Melrose, following the valleys to pass over the Lammermuirs at their west end at Soutra, In the 12th Lauder was the site of a major castle built by the de Morville family. Later, the site was used as a fort by the English. Later, still, the same site became the site of Thirlestane Castle Before 1500 the town had been created a Burgh by Royal Charter, the rights being renewed by James IV in 1502. Of interest to folks with ancestry, genealogy or Scottish Family Roots in Scotland who may wish to visit one day.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson