Old Photograph Soldiers Maryhill Barracks Glasgow Scotland
Old photograph of soldiers at Maryhill Barracks in Glasgow, Scotland. These Scottish barracks were opened as Garrioch Barracks in 1872. Built to accommodate an infantry regiment, a squadron of cavalry and a battery of field artillery, it dominated the area which is now the Wyndford housing estate. The barracks replaced the previous Infantry Barracks at Duke Street in the East End of the city, which dated from 1795. Maryhill Barracks became the depot of the Highland Light Infantry, City of Glasgow regiment after the Childers Reforms of 1881. During the 1919 general strike in Glasgow, the soldiers at Maryhill Barracks were deemed to be unreliable and were confined to barracks while troops from elsewhere were brought in to impose order. It was in 1919 that Maryhill Barracks was used as a marshalling place for the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders before embarking for India. It was also home to the Scots Greys and famously held Adolf Hitler's second-in-command Rudolf Hess during World War II after his supposed Peace flight to the UK in 1941, at a time when it was used as a prisoner of war camp. In 1942, the Free French leader, General Charles de Gaulle, visited French troops there. The Barracks were decommissioned and largely demolished in the early 1960s.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson