Monday, 20 March 2017
Old Photograph Sannox Isle Of Arran Scotland
Old photograph of cottages in Sannox, Island of Arran, Scotland. Sannox is a village is within the parish of Kilbride. The name comes from the name the Vikings gave to the area, Sandvik, meaning the Sandy Bay. Within Glen Sannox it is possible to find an Iron Age fort and the remains of a village, abandoned in 1829 as part of the process of the Highland clearances. Most of the inhabitants of this village emigrated to Canada where they built a replica of the church that was constructed in Sannox in 1822. Mining was a source of employment in the area, when in 1840 a mine was opened in the area. However operations only lasted around two decades. Operations ended when in 1862 the 11th Duke of Hamilton closed the mine, claiming that it spoiled the local area. However, the mine was reopened after the close of the First World War, and a railway and pier were built to transport the barytes that was mined there. The source of barytes ran out in 1938 and the mine closed. The railway and pier were removed in the 1940s.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland travel video of Winter snow just five days before Christmas in Glen Etive , near Glencoe , on ancestry visit to the Highland...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of women walking on the sea wall at the harbour in Arbroath, Angus, Scotland . In 1394 the Abbot John Gedy and the monks of ...