Old Photograph Kirk Torphichen Scotland
Old photograph of the kirk and cemetery in Torphichen near Bathgate, West Lothian, Scotland. Torphichen Preceptory is the tower and the two transepts of the church of the Preceptory of the Knights Hospitaller of the Order of St John of Jerusalem. The Preceptory was constructed from the late 12th century and comprised an aisleless nave, central tower, transepts and choir. Alongside are the foundations of the Preceptor's quarters, a dormitory, dining hall and kitchen, forming a cloistered courtyard on the north side of the church. The transepts and nave were rebuilt in the 15th century. The nave of the Preceptory was later demolished to make room for Torphichen Kirk which was built on the original foundations in 1756. The kirk is T shaped with three galleries including a laird's loft. The graveyard has a fine collection of 17th and 18th century headstones.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson