Old Photograph Duchess of Hamilton Lochranza Arran Scotland
Old photograph of Duchess of Hamilton passenger excursion steamer at Lochranza on the Isle of Arran, in the Firth of Clyde, Scotland. Duchess of Hamilton was built by Harland and Wolff at Govan for the Caledonian Steam Packet Company following the success of her sister TS Duchess of Montrose. Built to replace PS Juno at Ayr, she was a one class vessel, carrying saloon class passengers only and had a service speed of around 18 knots. She came under the control of British Railways in 1948. She operated as an excursion steamer from Ayr, Troon and Ardrossan until 1939. During the Second World War she served as a troop carrier between Stranraer and Larne on the east coast of County Antrim, Northern Ireland, and she also tendered in the Clyde. After the war, she ran long distance excursions from Gourock to Campbeltown and later to Ayr, Arran and Inveraray as well. Superseded by diesel vessels, she gave her last voyage, to Campbeltown on 28 September 1970.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson