Old Photograph Bannerman's Stores Arbuthnott Scotland
Old photograph of people and a vintage car outside Bannerman's Stores in Arbuthnott, Scotland. Reverend George Gleig, born 12 May 1753, died 9 March 1840, was a Scottish minister who transferred to the Episcopalian faith and became Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church. He was born at Boghall Farm, near Arbuthnott in Aberdeenshire, the son of a farmer. He was educated at Arbuthnott Parish School. At the age of thirteen he entered King's College, University of Aberdeen, where the first prize in mathematics and physical and moral sciences fell to him. In his twenty-first year he took orders in the Scottish Episcopal Church, and was ordained to the pastoral charge of a congregation at Pittenweem, Fife, whence he removed in 1790 to Stirling. In 1797 he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh. His proposers were James Gregory, Sir James Hall, and Dugald Stewart. In 1808 he was consecrated assistant and successor to the bishop of Brechin, in 1810 was preferred to the sole charge, and in 1816 was elected Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church, in which capacity he greatly aided in the introduction of many useful reforms, in fostering a more catholic and tolerant spirit, and in cementing a firm alliance with the sister Church of England. He died in Stirling. He is buried in the chapel of Greyfriars Church in Stirling.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson