Tour Scotland Video Of Old Photographs Of Pinwherry
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Pinwherry, Ayrshire, Scotland. The name Pinwherry and the many place names in the district are Gaelic or an ancient form of Gaelic and describe the characteristics of the countryside. Pinwherry itself means The hill in the hollow, surrounded by hills, where the waters meet; these waters being the Stinchar and the Duisk. The now ruined Pinwherry castle was a Kennedy property, and the builder of the castle is believed to have been John Kennedy of Banquarrie. In 1648 the property came into the hands of John, Earl of Carrick, and later into the possession of the Pollock family. Pinwherry railway station was an intermediate station on the Glasgow, Ayr, Girvan, Stranraer main line of the former Glasgow and South Western Railway. It was opened by the Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway on 5 October 1877. It closed on 7 February 1882, reopened on 16 February 1882, closed again on 12 April 1886, reopened again on 14 June 1886, and finally closed on 6 September 1965. The line itself remains open to regular passenger traffic. Of interest to folks with ancestry, genealogy or Scottish Family Roots in Scotland who may wish to visit one day.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson