Tour Scotland Photograph of Eilean Glas Lighthouse
Tour Scotland photograph of Eilean Glas Lighthouse, situated on the Island of Scalpay in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland. Eilean Glas was one of the first four lighthouses built in Scotland. It was one of the original four lights commissioned by the Commissioners of the Northern Lights, and the first in the Hebrides, the others were Kinnaird Head, Mull of Kintyre and North Ronaldsay. These lighthouses were built by Thomas Smith. Eilean Glas light was first displayed in 1789. The original tower was replaced in 1824 by Robert Stevenson. In 1852 the light was changed to a revolving system lens. The lighthouse was an early candidate for automation and this was carried out in 1978. Several of the original buildings have been sold off. The fog signal was discontinued in the 1980s although the horn remains in place as a decoration.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson