Old Photograph Vintage Cars Philiphaugh House Scotland
Old photograph of vintage cars and drivers outside Philiphaugh House near Selkirk, Scottish Borders, Scotland. The estate here has been in the possession of the Murray family for centuries. The first of the family upon record was Archibald de Morovia, who lived in the reign of King Alexander III, and is mentioned in the Chartulary of Newbattle, around 1280. For centuries they possessed the greatest portion of the county of Selkirk, and a large extent of Peeblesshire, besides lands in Midlothian. The owner of the estate succeeded to the Baronetcy of Melgund, which title had been granted, and held by a junior member of the family since 1704. It was assumed shortly after the death of Sir Albert Joseph Murray, a Count of the Austrian Empire, by an order of the Sheriff in Chancery. Sir John Murray is the clan chief of the families of his name in the southern portion of Scotland. It remained in the Murray family until 1899 when, experiencing great financial difficulties, they sold it to William Strang Steel.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson