Old Photograph Spartan Cruiser Aircraft Scotland
Old photograph of a Spartan Cruiser aircraft at the airport in Renfrew, which was the former domestic airport serving the city of Glasgow, Scotland. The airport was located in the Newmains area of Renfrew until it was decommissioned in 1966. Already in existence as a military facility during the First World War, it first handled scheduled flights in 1933 with the first regular destination being Campbeltown. The airport features briefly in the second novel of a space opera series by Angus MacVicar, Return to the Lost Planet. One of the characters is about to fly back from Scotland to Berlin, but the hero and his companion join him at the last minute on the bus from St. Enoch, Glasgow, to the airport, and persuade him to stay and help them. In addition to its Glasgow to Campbeltown and Islay route, Northern and Scottish Airways operated for a short time on a route from Glasgow to Hall Caine aerodrome on the Isle of Man.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson