Old Photograph Marriage House Coldstream Scotland
Old photograph of the Marriage House situated at the northern end of the Bridge in Coldstream, Scottish Borders, Scotland. Coldstream is a Scottish a village which is located on the north bank of the the River Tweed. In England, marriages could be transacted without prior notice until 1856, when the law stated that three week’s notice was needed. The Marriage House then became a popular place for runaway couples to be wed and at one time rivalled the famous smithy at Gretna Green.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson