Old Photograph Kenmuir Masonic Lodge Springburn Glasgow Scotland
Old photograph of laying the foundation stone of Lodge Kenmuir in Springburn, Glasgow, Scotland. Robert Gibson was one of the most influential figures in the History of Lodge Kenmuir. He was a Past Master of Lodge Thistle No 87, aged 51, when he joined Kenmuir, a Tailor to trade, he resided at 497 Springburn Road and was to be Master for 9 times over the period 1885 to 1895. He was to be the main driving force of the Lodge during this period. Springburn developed from a small rural hamlet at the beginning of the nineteenth century. Its industrial expansion began with the establishment of a chemical works by Charles Tennant on the newly opened Monkland Canal at nearby St. Rollox in 1799. Later in the 19th century the construction of railway lines through the area led to the establishment of Railway works and the village became a parish in its own right. The Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway first opened in 1831 to supply the St. Rollox Chemical Works and the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway was opened in 1842. Later, the City Union Line was extended to Springburn in 1871 and the Hamiltonhill Branch Line opened in 1894. Initially located outwith the Glasgow boundary, the area was eventually absorbed by the City of Glasgow Corporation in 1872.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson