Old Photograph Duncansburgh Church Fort William Scotland
Old photograph of the Alexandra Hotel and Duncansburgh Church in Fort William, Scotland. During the nineteenth century, Sir Duncan Cameron of Fassifern, tried unsuccessfully to rename the town Duncansburgh after himself. The name survived only as the name of the new parish which was created out of Kilmallie parish in 1861. Duncansburgh remained the name of the church and parish reflecting the fact that Sir Duncan Cameron provided the necessary endowment for the quod sacra parish church. By 1878 the church of 1792 was proving too small on account of the eloquent preaching of Mr MacQuarrie and the influx of summer visitors. The present church building was opened or August 1882 when the church leader Professor Charteris preached in English, and Mr Watson of Kiltearn in Gaelic.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson