Old Photograph Double Decker Passenger Bus Langside Glasgow Scotland
Old photograph of a Double Decker Passenger Bus in Langside, Glasgow, Scotland. Langside, Scottish Gaelic: An Leathad Fada, meaning the Long Hill, is a district, situated south of the River Clyde, and East of Shawlands, South of Queens Park, West of Cathcart and North of Newlands. The original village of Langside was based around what is now Algie Street, named after Glasgow Merchant Matthew Algie. There were two mills nearby on the White Cart river, a meal mill and a paper mill which dated back to the 17th century. In the early 19th century most of the inhabitants of the village were weavers although they also cultivated fruits and flowers. In the late 19th century as Glasgow expanded South during the rapid growth of the industrialisation in the city the area was built up with tenements, the area became part of the City of Glasgow in 1891 with the last of the original weaver's cottages being demolished in 1905. The area was served by trams from 1901.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson