Old Photograph Denbeath Colliery Methil Fife Scotland
Old photograph of Denbeath Colliery, Methil, Fife, Scotland. Originally known as Denbeath Colliery, the name was changed at the onset of the Wemyss Coal Company era in 1905. Major redevelopment in 1907, with addition of third shaft, production coming back on line in 1910. Pithead baths built by the Wemyss Coal Company in 1915 were the first to be built in Scotland, and the second in the UK. New washery added in 1960. Closed in 1967 during period of major closures, within two months of another of Scotland's largest pits, Minto, and only two months prior to the disastrous fire that closed the neighbouring Michael pit.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson