Old Photograph Cottage Post Office And Bridge Cabrach Dufftown Scotland
Old photograph of the cottage Post Office and Bridge in Cabrach, Moray, Scotland. This Scottish name means " antler place " in Scottish Gaelic. The forces of Huntly and Errol mustered in Cabrach before the battle of Glenlivet in 1594. This battle is often seen as a religious conflict, and was fought by the Catholic forces of George Gordon, 1st Marquess of Huntly and Francis Hay, 9th Earl of Erroll, who were victorious over the Protestant forces of Archibald Campbell, 7th Earl of Argyll. When the decree of 12 November 1593 came out, by which Catholics were ordered to give up their faith or leave the country, Huntly refused to obey. His continued resistance culminated in the Battle of Glenlivet, where, accompanied by the Earl of Erroll, he engaged Argyll's army above Allt a' Choileachain. The Earl of Huntly's forces consisted of 2,000 Highlanders from Clan Gordon, Clan Hay, Clan Comyn, Clan Cameron, Clan Cumming. The Earl of Argyll's forces consisted of 10,000 Highlanders from Clan Campbell, Clan Murray, Clan Stewart, Clan Forbes, Clan Macgillivray, Clan Maclean, Clan Grant, and the Chattan Confederation of Clan Mackintosh. Huntly's retainers prepared for battle by confession and communion. Mass was said at Auchindoun for them by Father James Gordon, before they set out on their march through Glenrinnes. Their weapons were sprinkled with holy water, and a cross placed on their armour symbolised that they fought in defence of the Cross of Christ. The Earl of Huntly's force of 2,000 men routed the Earl of Argyll's force of 10,000. Huntly's victory was a dramatic victory of horse and artillery over irregular infantry.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...