Old Photograph Barncluith Gardens Hamilton Scotland
Old photograph of Barncluith Gardens in Hamilton, South Lanarkshire, Scotland. The lands of Barncluith were held by the Machan family, of Norman origin. In 1507 Anne Machan married William Hamilton of Rossmoor, kinsman of the Duke of Hamilton. Their son fought and died at the Battle of Langside in 1568, and Barncluith was subsequently inherited by their grandson John Hamilton. Another John Hamilton of Barncluith was Sheriff of the Lower Ward of Lanarkshire from shortly after 1707. He is said to have held his court within the pavilion in the terrace garden, and to have carried out executions at a nearby oak tree. Ownership of Barncluith passed from the Hamiltons to the Ruthven family in the 19th century. At this time the gardens at Barncluith were renowned as an example of an old Scots garden, and were popular with visitors to the area. It was bought in 1908 by lawyer James C. Bishop, who restored the gardens.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...