Tour Scotland Of Old Photographs Of Walkerburn
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Walkerburn in the Scottish Borders, Scotland. This is a village in Tweeddale. Henry Ballantyne bought land to build a Tweed mill here in 1846. Frederick Thomas Pilkington designed and built a new village with houses for the workers and for the Ballantyne family. The new village came into being in 1854, taking its name from the Walker Burn. Shops opened, a school was built and the railway arrived in 1866. Until the 1960s, in addition to the Post Office, Walkerburn had a grocery store, a butcher, baker and greengrocer, a chemist, a jeweller, a tailor, a haberdasher, a general clothes shop and a knitwear and dressmaking shop, two fish and chip shops, two hairdressers, a library, a boot repair shop, several sweetie shops, and lots of small shops run in people’s front rooms. The railway closed in 1961 and the Mill in 1988. Of interest to folks with ancestry, genealogy or Scottish Family Roots in Scotland who may wish to visit one day.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson