Old Photograph Post Office Leswalt Scotland
Old photograph of the cottage Post Office in Leswalt in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. In 1390 Archibald Douglas, 3rd Earl of Douglas, granted lands at Leswalt to his illegitimate son or relative, William Douglas of Leswalt. William Douglas was self styled Lord of Leswalt, and Sheriff of Wigton, but was dismissed by Margaret, Duchess of Touraine, daughter of King Robert III of Scotland and wife of Archibald Douglas, 4th Earl of Douglas, as part of a power struggle in south west Scotland. Under duress he transferred lands at Lochnaw to Andrew Agnew, constable of Lochnaw Castle, receiving Cruggleton Castle in exchange. In 1463 when George Douglas of Leswalt, son of William Douglas of Leswalt and Katherine Maxwell, died, the lands of Leswalt and Cruggleton reverted to the Crown. They were appropriated by Mary of Guelders, the Queen Mother, widow of King James II of Scotland, and were subsequently claimed by Gilbert Kennedy, later Lord Kennedy, a half brother to George Douglas, for his son, John Kennedy. These passed to his son, Alexander Kennedy, who made them over to his brother, David Kennedy, 3rd Lord Kennedy, from whom the Earls of Cassilis are descended.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland Winter travel video of waterfalls in Glencoe and Glen Etive on ancestry visit to the Highlands of Scotland . Early on the m...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of children shops, houses and church on Barr Street in Ardrossan located in North Ayrshire , Scotland . Noted natives and pas...