Tour Scotland Video Old Photographs Of St. Abbs Scottish Borders
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of St. Abbs, Scotland. The fishing village was originally known as Coldingham Shore, the name St Abbs being adopted in the 1890s. The new name was derived from St Abb's Head, a rocky promontory located to the north of the village, itself named after the 7th century saint Æbbe of Coldingham. Dr William Dickson, born 1905, died 1992, was a Scottish chemist and educator. He was the only British schoolteacher to be elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry. He was born in St Abbs the son of a lobster fisherman. He was always proud of his fishing heritage. He studied Chemistry at Edinburgh University, gaining a First Class degree. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, in March 1963. Always connected to the sea, he died in Lowestoft on the English coast on 21 October 1992.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson