Saturday, 17 September 2016
Tour Scotland Video Ancient Priory Church Restenneth Near Forfar
Tour Scotland video of the ancient Priory Church on visit to Restenneth near Forfar, Angus, Scotland. This was a monastic house of Augustinian canons founded by Jedburgh Abbey in the Scottish Borders, with the patronage of King Malcolm IV of Scotland, in 1153. There is also speculation that Restenneth may even have been the Pictish church dedicated to St Peter, mentioned in Bede, built in 710 for Nechtán mac Der Ilei, King of the Picts. Augustinian Restenneth was always a small priory and very dependent on its mother house at Jedburgh. In 1501 there were only two canons. There was an attempt to incorporate it into the Royal Chapel in this year, but this failed to occur, and King James IV of Scotland suggested its incorporation into the archbishopric of St Andrews, Fife. This too evidently did not occur, as priors continue to be on record. The priory was, however, turned into a secular lordship for Thomas Erskine, Viscount Fentoun, in 1606.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland travel video of Winter snow just five days before Christmas in Glen Etive , near Glencoe , on ancestry visit to the Highland...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of women walking on the sea wall at the harbour in Arbroath, Angus, Scotland . In 1394 the Abbot John Gedy and the monks of ...