Wednesday, 8 June 2016
Tour Scotland Video Spring Golfers 18th Green Old Golf Course St Andrews Fife
Tour Scotland Spring video of golfers putting on the 18th green of the Old Golf Course in St Andrews, Fife, Scotland. The Old Course at St Andrews is considered by many to be the " home of golf " because the sport was first played on the Links at St Andrews in the early 1400s. Members played on what would become the Old Course, but because it was the only course St Andrews had, it was not yet known as the Old Course. Golf was becoming increasingly popular in Scotland until in 1457, when James II of Scotland banned golf because he felt that young men were playing too much golf instead of practising their archery. The ban was held by the following kings of Scotland until 1502, when King James IV became a golfer himself and decided to remove the ban on golf.
All photographs are copyright of Sandy Stevenson, Tour Scotland, and may not be used without permission.
View the most recent Tour Scotland photographs.
Tour Scotland travel video of Winter snow just five days before Christmas in Glen Etive , near Glencoe , on ancestry visit to the Highland...
Tour Scotland video of old photographs of Lenzie situated six miles from Glasgow , Scotland . Lenzie was built in the 19th century as a co...
Old photograph of women walking on the sea wall at the harbour in Arbroath, Angus, Scotland . In 1394 the Abbot John Gedy and the monks of ...